I've never really been clear on what it means when you call something/someone "basic" but I suspect this popcorn probably is. After all, truffle oil is so mainstream as to be completely expected and boring, like a pumpkin spice latte (which I also hear is basic?). But you know what? I still love it! It just pairs so well with delicious, starchy foods like potatoes and popcorn, and when you combine it with parmesan you have an umami combo that is pretty hard to beat, in my opinion.
For this popcorn, I've kept the truffle oil and parmesan together, as they should be always, but also added butter for a little extra indulgence, then cut all that richness with the fresh parsley, to add in a little bitter element and something green so we can feel good about ourselves. Plus, it's pretty!
By the way, if you happen to still be popping your popcorn out of a bag in your microwave, I guess you are allowed to do what you want, but seriously, why are you doing that? It could not be easier to make popcorn on the stove, and any homemade topping is going to taste way better than whatever chemicals that are passing as butter flavor in the microwave stuff. Speaking of flavor, you have only the limits of your spice cabinet and your imagination to stop you! Plus, as a 7th grade health teacher repeatedly drilled into my class, popcorn is itself not a bad food; in fact, it's a whole grain, and it's only terrible for us because of what we usually add onto it. So if you're thinking you'll stick with your microwave stuff because this truffle oil/butter/cheese combo is too calorically rich, well, a little coconut oil and a light dusting of sea salt is like the OG Smart Pop, so it's basically a diet food, is what I'm saying. Get popping!
Truffle Parmesan Popcorn
- 1 tbs refined coconut oil
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels (I used white but whatever you have is fine)
- 1 tbs butter, melted
- 1 cup parmesan, finely grated (on a microplane zester is best for this, you want "snow")
- 2-3 tsp truffle oil (in case you really love it)
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely minced
- salt and pepper
- Prep all of your toppings before you begin. This is important because you want to put everything on the popcorn immediately, while it's hot.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot, like a dutch oven, on medium high heat. Drop one popcorn kernel into the oil. When it pops, add the remaining popcorn.
- Partially cover the pot to let steam escape, and jiggle the pot around while the popcorn is popping (so you don't burn it). When popping slows to almost nothing, remove the pot from the heat and transfer the popped popcorn to a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the hot popcorn with the melted butter and truffle oil and toss to coat, then add the parmesan and parsley and toss again to coat.
- Garnish with a few grinds of fresh black pepper and taste for seasoning. Add salt if necessary, then serve immediately while warm.