Did you get a long weekend? Are you now facing down the next four days with the resignation that only comes from a return to work normalcy after the holidays? These short weeks always feel the longest, don't they? I have yet to spend a full week in the office in 2017, but the weeks have really seemed interminable. Luckily, I have just the thing to get us through the 3pm boredom/snack craving/just get me out of here feelings.
I'm lucky enough to work in an office with no shortage of snacks. I could easily cobble together breakfast and lunch everyday with what's on offer. Unfortunately, while the snacks we have fall more on the healthy end of the spectrum, it's still easy to make bad choices when a craving strikes (hello, cheez-its). That's why, when I get tired of so-so hummus and carrots or apples and peanut butter, I try to plan ahead and bring in my own less processed snacks. Enter these crispy chickpeas! They are crispy, crunchy, and tasty from the homemade ranch seasoning, but also full of protein! They make a great substitute for chips or crackers when you want a salty snack fix but it's still January so you're on the unprocessed food bandwagon, and they'll rev you back up and keep you happy 'til dinner.
Crispy Ranch Chickpeas
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 cup dried, see note)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ranch seasoning
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Pat chickpeas dry with paper towels. Toss with olive oil and salt on a large baking sheet.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until crispy. Watch for hotspots in the oven and rotate baking sheet accordingly (see my extra dark examples above).
- Toss with ranch seasoning mix and enjoy!
- To use dried chickpeas, soak overnight, then simmer in a large pot of salted water for 45 minutes until soft. Proceed with remaining steps.